An ecological society conference (or any other type of conference for that matter) needs publicity for it to be successful. You need to have publicity before the event, so as to get more people to attend the conference. And you need to have publicity during and after the event, in order to ensure that the resolutions made in the course of the conference are acted upon. Conversely, if an ecological society conference is not well publicized beforehand, there is a risk that the number of attendees won’t be optimal. After all, people can only attend a conference if they know about it beforehand. And if what takes place in the course of the actual ecological society conference is not well publicized, there is a risk that the resolutions made in the course of the conference won’t be taken seriously or acted upon. Therefore publicity is very important. Some of the ways in which you can publicize an ecological society conference include:
- By inviting journalists to cover it: this can be particularly useful if you want to publicize the things that happen in the course of and after the conference. Of course, if you can get the journalists to cover the preparations for the conference, you may also succeed in getting more people to attend the conference. Either way, you get to enhance the conference’s success.
- By advertising it on mass media: this is like where you put out ads, inviting people to attend the conference, and announcing the date, time and venue of the conference. This can help in getting more people to attend the conference than would otherwise have been the case. You have to appreciate that some of the attendees will be ecologists who are working in other fields. You may, for instance, find a recent ecology graduate who, in the meantime, is currently working for a company like Walmart. If you advertise the ecological society conference on the mass media, there is a good chance of this potential attendee getting to learn about it. He can subsequently go to the Walmart1login page, and sign into this Walmart employee account. Thereafter, he can proceed to check his Walmart1 schedule and to request for some time off work to attend the conference. Now this is an attendee you’d have potentially missed, if you hadn’t taken the trouble to publicize the ecological society conference through mass media.
- By advertising it on print media: again, this entails putting out ads, inviting people to attend the conference. You can use it to announce the conference date, time and venue. And it can help you reach potential attendees you’d otherwise missed.
- By advertising it online: in this regard, you can sign up for a Google Adwords account, and proceed to advertise the ecological society conference through the program. Google will then run the ads on the websites that are likely to be visited by ecologists, potentially improving the attendance to your ecological society conference.
- By using social media: this entails publicizing the ecological society conference on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and so on. It can go a long way towards getting many people to know about the ecological society conference, thus enhancing the conference’s success.